Challenge: Retention and stability of volatile flavour compounds
Client: Global FMCG manufacturer
Background: Volatile compounds are key flavour and aroma compounds, however they are susceptible to losses due to volatility and reactivity. The loss and degradation of the flavour compounds results in an overall decrease in flavour perception, product quality and consumer liking. It is therefore necessary to identify ingredients and technologies that can be utilised to stabilise volatile flavour compounds, both during the product’s shelf-life, and also as experienced by the consumer during consumption. The client has a particular interest in coffee and espresso flavours.
Goal: Ingredients and technologies that can be utilised to stabilise volatile flavour compounds, with particular interest in:
- Materials which can manage the volatility of volatile flavour compounds.
- Materials which can manage the oxidation of volatile flavour compounds.
- Technologies which can be employed to stabilise existing flavour blends.
- Technologies which can be employed to retain existing flavour blends.
- Identify novel, alternative coffee and espresso flavour ingredients/systems that can deliver the distinct espresso flavour profile, whilst meeting the requirements of retaining full efficacy during the product’s shelf-life.
- Leading experts, individuals or groups, in respect to this challenge.
Possible solutions need to be able to create a flavour blend which is:
- A free-flowing, colourless, powder or a liquid.
- Stable for 12 months.
- Approved for use in food within the US And European markets.
Technologies at all stages of technology readiness, from early-stage research and development to commercially available solutions, will be considered.
Volatile flavour stability and retention
All solutions must be submitted to Technology Scout ([email protected]), with a subject line ACTION ref: F23/200/1 Volatile flavour stability and retention detailing:
- A specification detailing the key parameters.
- A summary of the process or technology.
- Any technical or application limitations.
- Commercial availability.
- Contact details.
Food Industry Experts, The Aurora Ceres Partnership Ltd provide food and drink technology scouting for some of the worlds largest food and drink manufacturers and brands using the ACTION technology scouting platform. ACTION is a food and drink technology scouting programme that is tailored for each client and each project and follows our 4-stage approach: Review – Contact – Call – Filter. To find out more how ACTION can help your food technology scouting needs click here