Challenge: Sustainable alternatives to plastic at every step of the supply chain
Client: Global agricultural producer
Background: The use of plastic underpins every part of the agricultural supply chain, from seedling pots, to retail stickers on produce. Alternative solutions to date have included the use of card, and also bioplastics; both of these substitutes can effectively replace much of the traditional plastics. However, given that deforestation is a key global issue, any potential solutions need to avoid a net contribution to this activity.
Goal: Plastic alternatives are required which satisfy the following requirements:
- Farm to retail solutions must be sustainable, and able to replace traditional plastics in nursery settings (seedling containers, plastic sheeting), packhouse storage, and, transportation of produce from packhouse to retailer.
- Retail to home solutions must be biodegradable or compostable, including stickers, adhesives and inks.
- All solutions must permit respiration, to allow the produce to ripen properly.
- All solutions must protect the produce from damage.
- All solutions must be approved/intended for use in food and drink applications.
- Details of any certifications, such as ‘OK Compost HOME’ or ‘OK Compost INDUSTRIAL’.
Technologies at all stages of technology readiness, from early-stage research and development to commercially available solutions, will be considered.
Sustainable plastic alternatives response
All solutions must be submitted to Technology Scout ([email protected]), with a subject line ACTION ref: F22/284/2 Sustainable plastic alternatives, detailing:
- A summary of the process or technology.
- Any technical or application limitations.
- Commercial availability.
- Summary of validation in food and drink application.
- Contact details.
Food Industry Experts, The Aurora Ceres Partnership Ltd provide food and drink technology scouting for some of the worlds largest food and drink manufacturers and brands using the ACTION technology scouting platform. ACTION is a food and drink technology scouting programme that is tailored for each client and each project and follows our 4-stage approach: Review – Contact – Call – Filter. To find out more how ACTION can help your food technology scouting needs click here