Challenge: Sustainable alternatives to plastic that can withstand High Pressure Processing (HPP) OR, Alternatives to HPP that can be used with sustainable, non-plastic, containers
Client: Global food manufacturer
Background: High pressure processing (HPP), or cold pasteurization, is a valuable method of extending the shelf-life of ready to eat processed foods, whilst reducing preservatives, and, maintaining the nutrient content and organoleptic properties. The food containers that are used in HPP are made from plastic, and whilst manufacturers are attempting to replace plastic at every step of their supply chain, there are no solutions for sustainable alternatives that can withstand the high pressure process.
Goal: Plastic alternatives are required which satisfy the following requirements:
- Containers are made from materials that must withstand the rigours of HPP.
- Containers are made from materials that are biodegradable or compostable.
- Container is suitable to contain a semi-solid/pulp.
- All solutions must be approved/intended for use in food and drink applications.
- Details of any certifications, such as ‘OK Compost HOME’ or ‘OK Compost INDUSTRIAL’.
[OR] Goal: Alternatives to HPP, that can utilise sustainable packaging, which satisfy the following requirements:
- Sustainable Alternatives for HPP that provides equivalency, in terms of food safety, nutrient preservation and organoleptic properties.
Technologies at all stages of technology readiness, from early stage research and development to commercially available solutions, will be considered.
All solutions must be submitted to Technology Scout ([email protected]), with a subject line ACTION ref: F22/284/1 Sustainable Alternatives for HPP, detailing:
- A summary of the process or technology.
- Any technical or application limitations.
- Commercial availability.
- Summary of validation in food and drink application.
- Contact details.
Food Industry Experts, The Aurora Ceres Partnership Ltd provide food and drink technology scouting for some of the worlds largest food and drink manufacturers and brands using the ACTION technology scouting platform. ACTION is a food and drink technology scouting programme that is tailored for each client and each project and follows our 4-stage approach: Review – Contact – Call – Filter. To find out more how ACTION can help your food technology scouting needs click here